You jump, you spin, you hop
the delight on your face
when the music starts
as you wiggle and try to bop.
it’s a joy to behold
Once upon a time
I too was like that
a long time ago
before I encountered
some of life’s little mishaps!
To have such innocence
to feel so free
without caring who may see.
spin round and round
until a stagger
a fall to the ground.
I gather you up
your bottom lip starts to quiver
and give a little shiver.
I wipe away the falling tears
and try to calm your fears
a sniffle, a snuffle, a little sob
such tears and hurt
make my heart throb.
Your friends start calling your name
they want your attention
they’re playing a game!
You look up at me
as if to ask
if I get down
will you take me to task?
Or is it ok?
Will you wait
while I go and play?
These moments I will remember
as I age and become more grey
no matter your age
you will always stay.
Words © July 2014 Michelle Payne
Picture found circulating freely online
12 Life Lessons I Learned From My Cat
1. Pounce on opportunity. He who hesitates, misses catching the passing lizard.
2. Patience. Infinite patience.
3. Concentration. A cat studying an opportunity just beyond his grasp is the epitome of focused attention. He doesn’t even blink as he tunes out all distractions. His body is completely still except for his wildly twitching tail releasing his nervous energy.
4. Nothing is worth disturbing your beauty sleep.
5. Catnap. Even a few moments of shut-eye is refreshing.
6. If you’re happy, purr. Show your appreciation by letting people know that you like what they do.
7. Do cat stretches – and other yoga poses, and try Qigong. Especially as we age, gentle stretching is one of the best things we can do for our bodies.
8. Wrestle with your best friend. She likes it when you’re playful.
9. Eat when you’re hungry and not by the clock.
10. Ask for what you want. If you are lovable and patient, you will probably get it.
11. You can’t have everything you want. If you put your claws where they don’t belong, you’re going to get spanked.
12. Revel in life’s simple pleasures. A ball of string is magic. Catnip is heavenly.
~~ Origin: Unknown ~~